What is bacon? What dishes can you cook with it?
Among lovers of meat delicacies, the question arises - what is bacon? Many consumers mistakenly take it for a type of fat. But this is not at all the case. The answer to this question, as well as methods of cooking it at home and recipes for dishes with bacon, we give in the article below.
This product is used in food in many countries, but not everyone knows what species it is, what animal meat is used. It happens to be salted and smoked. So what is bacon? This pork meat, past special processing. In addition, animals are kept on special fattening, while young pigs with a long back are specially selected. As food for animals choose legumes, barley, milk, exclude fish, food waste and oats. With this fattening, the meat and subcutaneous fat are distributed in even layers. Bacon is obtained from the sides of young animals - 6-7 months, without bones and vertebrae.
Selection of high-quality bacon (photo)
In Russia, bacon can be bought at almost any meat store. But with the choice of a quality product, difficulties may arise, as there are many products on sale that are stuffed with various additives. Often you can meet on the shelves of expired products and fake.
What should I look for when choosing a product:
- the price of bacon cannot be lower than the cost of good meat;
- the less substances are indicated on the package, the safer the product (in high-quality bacon, the percentage of salt solution is not more than 10);
- the small shelf life of the product, declared on the package, means that it contains less preservatives (such bacon usually has a shelf life of not more than 15 days);
- if the product is smoked, it should have a characteristic smell of smoke and be darker in color;
- if there is sandpaper on bacon, it should be clean and without bristles;
- if there are pronounced spots on the product, darkening or inclusions of a yellow shade, you should definitely refuse to purchase.
What is bacon? His views
This product can be divided into several types. According to the method of cooking bacon is salted or smoked.To get a salty product, fresh meat should be rubbed with salt and spices and soaked in marinade. For smoked bacon, meat is cooked for a long time with smoke. Used for smoking chips of fruit trees.
There are the following types of bacon:
- One of the most popular is Canadian, it is considered the most expensive, since it is taken from the lumbar part of the pig carcass. This bacon is used for frying and baking, first courses and salads or as a snack.
- Pancetta (another name is Italian bacon) is a pickled piece of pork breast. It is usually very fat and well seasoned with spices.
- Turkey bacon is also in demand, for its preparation meat is taken from the thigh of a turkey. The fat content of this product is much lower than other species, the meat is subjected to heat treatment with smoke.
How to cook bacon
There are a large number of recipes and methods of cooking this product. It can be cooked in the oven, microwave, just in the pan, adding to it other products. The most popular recipe known all over the world is bacon and eggs. With confidence we can say that everyone knows about this dish, which is usually served for breakfast. Let's get acquainted with other recipes.
Bacon Potato Recipe
Consider the recipe for cooking dishes from bacon with potatoes in the oven - potato-harmonicas. This dish is distinguished not only by its taste, but also by the original look. This recipe uses potatoes entirely, so the number of tubers directly depends on the number of people.
We will need:
- potatoes (prepared) - 10 pieces;
- smoked bacon - 200 g;
- spices, salt - to taste;
- oil - to lubricate the form;
- foil or baking sleeve.
When choosing potatoes should pay attention to the size of the tubers, it is better if they are medium in size. Potatoes are cut across, but not completely. In order to cut the tuber more evenly, you can put it in a tablespoon, and then cut. Cut bacon into thin strips and stuff potato accordions with it.
For roasting potatoes with bacon, you can choose several ways:
- Prepared semi-finished product is placed on a baking sheet, pre-greased with vegetable oil.
- Another method is to wrap each potato in foil, put it on a sheet and bake.
- It is possible to put stuffed potato harmonicas into a roasting sleeve, put them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven.In this case, 25 minutes after the start of the heat treatment, the sleeve should be cut. Bake another 5-10 minutes to make the finished dish redden.
Despite the fact that the recipe is quite simple, a hot snack will have an unusual, exquisite taste. To prepare this dish you will need:
- 10 gigantic shrimps;
- 10 slices of bacon.
To start, clean the shrimp, then wrap each strip of bacon. You can cook a snack on the grill, pan or in the oven.
How to cook
It is believed that home-cooked bacon is much tastier than that purchased in the store. Choose the following recipe for the description.
- First you need to buy in the store or on the market fresh pork belly.
- Sugar, spices and salt rub in meat and leave to marinate for a week, periodically draining the liquid formed during the interaction of salt with meat.
- A week later, the brisket is well dried and left unpacked for one more day in the refrigerator.
For cooking, you will need a grill, barbecue, you can use the oven. It takes less coal than barbecue, the pickled sternum is laid on the grill with the skin up. The delicacy is covered with a lid and left on the grill (grill) for a couple of hours.It is necessary to enclose coals, and lay raw wood on them (for smoke).
After the bacon is cooked, you need to cut off the skin from it.
Its advantage lies in the content of vitamins and minerals. The group of vitamins B contained in it is especially important for the nervous system and metabolism. Vitamins A and E have a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system and the youth of the skin. Bacon contains a large amount of protein, which is especially necessary for athletes and nursing mothers. Normalize the work of the brain, liver and heart are part of the product acid, lysine is involved in the formation of the skeleton, cartilage and joints. It contains magnesium, selenium, copper, iron, fluorine, zinc. And yet, despite all the positive properties of the product, it should be rationed.
Contraindications and harm
It is known that such bacon has a high calorie content (541 kcal per 100 g), which can lead to weight gain. Abuse of bacon can create problems with the intestines and stomach, cause the formation of cholesterol plaques on the walls of blood vessels. When consumed in large quantities of smoked bacon, the formation of cancer cells is possible.
Bacon consumption is contraindicated in pregnant women in the last months of pregnancy, small children, people with the following diseases:
The use of this product in a small amount of harm to the body will not bring.
It is interesting
A large number of delicacies are on sale, for example: bacon-egg ice cream, lollipops, bacon vodka and bacon in chocolate.
According to scientists, this product is able to remove a hangover.
Bacon is a very fatty product, 100 g contains more than 500 kcal.
According to the same scientists, the use of smoked, canned, salted meat products can provoke intestinal cancer.