Moroccan Cinnamon Tea: Composition, Recipe
In cloudy weather, everyone wants to warm up. And each has its own way - a blanket and heater, a cozy sweater and massage. There is another tasty way: Moroccan tea!
A blend of oriental spices perfectly warms and gives a feeling of peace. By the way, in the homeland of this tea, in Morocco, they drink it not only during meals - it perfectly helps to quench your thirst during the day! It is easy to find tea: special shops, which are located in crowded places, sell this drink.
How did Moroccan tea come about?
The history of this aromatic drink began in the middle of the XIX century. A British merchant, carrying ganpauder tea from China, was forced to adjust the route. The reason for this was the outbreak of hostilities everywhere. Briton was in Morocco. There he also sold tea. So the inhabitants of Morocco had a tasty drink, and the merchant had a new place of sale.
But the story does not end there. "Gunpauder" became the basis for tea with mint, which became extremely popular not only in Morocco. They began to drink it in Tunisia and Algeria, in Spain and France.By the way, this tea is also called Maghreba tea, Tunisian tea, Tuareg.
Moroccan tea composition
The main symbol of hospitality, its brand, is sold everywhere. But what if you are far from the streets of Morocco? Moroccan tea can be prepared independently. To do this, you need to know what is included in the composition of the drink:
- The main ingredient, of course, is green tea. It is imported to Morocco from China. The most suitable varieties are Chun Me and Zhu Cha.
- It is important to add to the drink and mint. The most suitable, of course, Moroccan. It has many advantages over its European counterparts, as it contains a greater amount of essential oils and menthol. Another advantage is the attractive appearance. Moroccan mint has corrugated leaves. However, if it is not at hand, the most ordinary will do.
- What else can you add to Moroccan tea? The composition includes a large number of wormwood and lemon verbena. Suitable, by the way, citruses, spices and milk.
Moroccan tea can be prepared in various ways. Not only the ingredients are different, but even the brewing technology! According to one recipe, you need to boil tea and mint together, on the other - in different teapots, connecting only later.The only condition that does not change is the presence of a kettle made of metal. Other dishes will not work because it is important to cook real Moroccan tea on fire!
Do you want to make traditional Moroccan tea? The recipe is not so complicated:
- The first thing to do is brew green tea. It must be insisted for twenty-five minutes.
- Then, after filtering the tea, the tea should be poured into a larger metal kettle.
- There it is worth adding sugar. Before it is completely dissolved, the tea should be on fire.
- Shortly before the end of cooking, you should add mint leaves to the kettle - the more, the tastier the drink will be. You can not boil the mint. Simply put the leaves in a tall glass and fill it with hot tea.
This method, as the name implies, is based on rinsing in the brewing process. They, by the way, require at least four. There are some tricks here. For example, it is impossible to pour out the water of the first brewing - according to beliefs, it contains the "spirit" of tea, without which the drink will not work. People far from mystics, explain this tradition is much simpler: in the first brew contains the largest amount of essential oils.That is, it depends on it how fragrant and tasty the finished drink will be.
But in the water from the second, third and fourth rinsing is too high concentration of tannins. Because this water is not used. When rinsing left behind, the first brew is returned to the kettle, bring it to a boil. In a drink that is almost ready, add mint and sugar.
Moroccan tea with cinnamon: the most delicious recipe
One of the most delicious options - drink with the addition of cinnamon. To make it, you will need not only this fragrant spice, but also clove, lemon and orange:
- The first thing to do is remove the zest from the fruit, grate it or chop it finely.
- From lemon you need to squeeze the juice.
- Mint is recommended to slightly mash, it is best to do it with your hands.
- Then you need to cook the sugar - the usual Moroccan tea with cinnamon will not work, you need to burn. Cooking is easier than ever — sugar should be poured into a frying pan, completely dissolved and caramelized.
- In the metal kettle you need to put tea leaves, zest, burnt sugar, mint, lemon juice, cloves and, of course, cinnamon - better than the sticks.Then the mixture should be poured boiling water, put on the stove and bring the tea to a boil.
It is very important to give the drink an insistence - you can pour it into glasses no earlier than in twenty minutes. In the glass you can put a few leaves of fresh mint.
Tea with Tambourine
There are other recipes for such a drink, like Moroccan tea. Cinnamon recipe is not the only one. You can cook it with a badian. One star is enough for a kettle.
It must be crushed by adding anise seeds to it. Then you need to mix mint, green tea, spices, juice of any citrus (lime or lemon is best). You can put a crust from the fruit. Then pour the mixture with boiling water and bring to a boil. You can indulge yourself with this fragrant drink in ten minutes!
Moroccan tea with thyme
Thyme is another plant that will give tea a unique taste. For the preparation will need tea leaves and mint, thyme, sugar. The mixture is necessary to pour boiling water and simmer for twenty minutes on low heat. Moroccan tea can be consumed hot and cold, it can warm and quench thirst.
The tea ceremony is traditionally held by men.The most important thing is to fill the glasses with Moroccan tea so that lush foam is formed. By the way, that is why tea is poured into tall glasses, filling them only to half! Higher tea "pilotage" - the ability to keep the kettle over your head, pouring a thin stream of Moroccan tea, without spilling a drop. This, by the way, is not only a beautiful ceremony - this way allows you to saturate the drink with plenty of oxygen.
It is customary for the honored guests to offer three glasses, they cannot refuse food. But if the guest is not welcome, he is poured a full glass - without foam.
It is worth noting that although Moroccan tea contains sugar, it is served with sweets. Usually it is a fresh cookie, beautifully laid out on a metal dish.
The benefits of tea
Due to the content of herbs and spices, Moroccan tea is very useful. For example, a drink with cinnamon has a warming effect, and therefore it is extremely useful for colds. In addition, cinnamon is a wonderful antibiotic that helps to defeat fungi, bacteria and even E. coli. And this spice soothes the nervous system.
Clove, which is part of the drink, will improve the bowels, eliminate bad breath. And she will help to recover from overwork and frustration.
Citruses are rich in vitamin C, which means they are suitable for the prevention of colds. Badian is the best cough medicine. In addition, it can improve digestion. For those who want to lose weight, suitable Moroccan tea with cardamom. It speeds up the metabolic processes.