Drawing clay (plasticine): basic techniques
Plasticine is one of the favorite tools of the child, with which you can sculpt original and inimitable masterpieces. But it is also a material that can draw amazing pictures.
What is plasticine
Plasticine - a kind of unconventional drawing, a relatively new direction of children's creativity, available both at home and in a kindergarten. In plasticine drawings combining application and modeling, which turn out to be semi-volume, both small children and teenagers can express themselves, convey mood. And in this form of art does not require any special skills. It is enough to show a little imagination and give free rein to your imagination.
Types of pictures from plasticine
Images made of plasticine can be smooth, with a smooth flow of one layer into another. In addition, each element fits harmoniously into the overall composition.In the work on such paintings, the resulting folds should be carefully smoothed, and irregularities and bumps should be carefully removed with the help of stacks.
The outlines of objects on a smooth background are a sign of relief images. For example, the contours of the fish or its scales. Such paintings are reminiscent of stucco.
Also, drawings can include complete parts and are created from a template with pre-prepared stencils for clay. The tips of each element are smoothed (erased) with a new piece of the picture.
What is needed for work?
The main working material is multi-colored clay. It is advisable to choose wax. It is soft, so it will roll out thinly, it is easy to smear on the surface and not stick to your hands. You should also stock up on:
- horizontal base, which can be used as cardboard, thick paper, plastic or glass.
- board (plastic or wooden) for rolling out clay and molding details;
- a set of stacks (special plastic knives for working with plasticine) of different shapes;
- wet wipes and a container of water for wetting the hands;
- various devices to give the surface the intended structure - gears, polyhedra;
- medical and pastry syringes for squeezing plasticine mass.
Additionally, to decorate the work, you can use beads, buttons, colored threads, patches, natural materials.
The stores sell kits for drawing clay, including the necessary material and tools for work. Their range is huge, so finding the right one for your child’s age and interests will be easy.
The advantages of plasticine
It should be noted that children, at least once tried drawing clay, begin to do it all the time. The advantages of plasticine include:
- simplicity in work;
- removal of muscular and nervous tension;
- development of hand motor skills;
- easy adjustment: the picture can always be redone.
Plasticine in kindergarten
A kindergarten teacher, when teaching plasticine, will not be challenging the children in order not to discourage them from working with such compliant material.Since this type of creativity takes a lot of time, it is recommended to periodically take breaks at the physical position.
When children master the skills of drawing clay, you can move on to more complex and even collective creations. In the process of working on a drawing, the tutor should ensure that the elbows are located on the table, the back is straight. During the classes of plasticine in kindergarten, one should not allow overwork of the kids.
Description of the process step by step
Creating crafts from clay takes place in several stages:
- Selection of the base pattern, colors for the background and the future image. For babies it’s best to start with a rainbow or a blue sky with a yellow sun and a green field with daisies. The size of the first drawings should be small, ¼ of A4 paper.
- Transferring the selected sketch to the cardboard. Be sure to consider the background with which the picture will be better combined: white or color.
- From the slats of plasticine should be separated pieces of small size and, in accordance with the idea, put on the base. In this case, you can use various methods of modeling - rolling, pinching, smoothing, flattening, and others.
- In the work on images from a large number of parts that require a clear drawing of objects, a medical syringe without a needle, inside of which you want to put a piece of clay, will help to gently heat (on the battery or in a container with warm water), then squeeze out thin threads. For thicker threads suitable confectionery syringe. Soft transitions between colors can be obtained by mixing in the hands of the necessary shades of clay. It should be borne in mind that it is not necessary to combine more than two colors simultaneously.
In the creation of paintings of increased complexity can not do without the participation of mom. With it, for example, you can make an original drawing on glass. It is required to retake the image on the base, to outline the contours with a gel or paint from a tube. The background should be painted gradually, with long strokes, pinching the clay (previously well mashed) in small pieces and smearing it alternately with the thumb and forefinger. After manipulating the clay, wipe your hands with a dry cloth and then wash them with warm water.
Ways to draw plasticine
Drawing plasticine balls.The drawing consists of small balls attached to paper. It turns out volumetric and unusual. It is recommended to start using this technique with simple images, for example, leaves on a tree. Originally looks a picture in which styles are mixed. For example, volume application and smearing. Prints can be placed on the clay: dots with a felt-tip pen on the background, touches with a toothpick, notches with a plastic knife, etc.
Spiral drawing techniquegives the picture volume. Spirals should be placed close to each other to get a picture. For example, the crown of a tree or simple roses made in this style will look original. The material here will be spent much more than with the usual smearing.
Drawing strokes- an extraordinarily beautiful technique that can be used by children 5-6 years old. Such a picture does not even need a well thought out figure. It is enough to combine several colors of plasticine into one layer and apply bright strokes (like fish scales) to them. The finished work will resemble works that are painted in oils by professional artists.
Along with other techniques of drawing clay children likevolumetric performance. To translate the picture, you need to twist a lot of small sausages and create one conceived of them.
On a note
When working with clay, it is worth remembering some features:
- When mixing yellow, red and blue, new tones are obtained. Yellow with blue give green, red with yellow - orange, blue with red - purple.
- When fluorescent and matte tones are combined, plasticine of a different quality is obtained.
- To make the surface of the product glossy fingers should be moistened with water.
- Adding black to the main color gives it a darker tone, white - pastel.
Sculpting figures can be done in several ways:
- Rolling out A piece of plasticine is placed between the palms or on the board and rolled out in straight-line movements before acquiring a cylindrical shape. For kids - the most convenient way of drawing clay. Image templates can be downloaded from the Internet or purchased complete with a set.
- Rolling down A ball rolls out of plasticine through circular movements of the palms.
- Pulling offFrom the drawn material it is possible to construct a certain element of the future creation.
- Smoothing The smooth, flat surface is attached with the tips of your fingers.
- Flattening The most popular method. The ball is kneaded to form a cake. Bends and grooves are produced by indentation.
- Topping. Produced by squeezing the fingers in the parts of the picture, where a new part is created.
With the help of auxiliary tools you can give the picture an expressive look and get a large number of identical blanks. For example, the stems, grass or spiderweb can be arranged with the help of a medical syringe (without a needle).
Drawing clay for children is not only an interesting pastime, but also a joint creative activity that unites a parent and a child, a teacher and a children's team.